I don't usually bake cakes or cookies, so I thought I'd share one of my few baking recipes. These cookies are just so quick and easy to make, and taste so good, that even I make the effort every once in a while.
1/2 cup unsweetened tahina paste
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup pecans
2 whole cardamom pods
1/2 tsp baking powder
Greaseproof paper baking sheets
1. This recipe goes very quickly, so start by preheating the oven to 160C (325F).
2. Cream together the butter and the sugar (easier if the butter is at room temperature first).
3. Add the tahina paste and vanilla.
4. Seive in the flour & baking powder.
5. Chop the pecans into small pieces (or you can put them into a small sandwich bag and bash them about a bit with a rolling pin) and add them too.
6. Split open the cardamom pods, to reveal the black seeds inside. Grind the seeds into a fine powder with a pestle and mortar (discarding the outer green husk) and add to the bowl.
7. Mix everything really well until a dough is formed. Divide the mixture into 30 small balls.
8. Line a baking try with the baking sheet and space out the balls 3-4 inches apart. You'll probably need to bake them in batches.
9. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Leave to cool for at least 10 minutes before moving them on to a wire rack to cool. If you touch them before this, they will fall apart.
10. Allow to cool (they really do taste better cool!) and enjoy. They really are wonderful!